Monday, February 23, 2009

Views of Mazatlan





A curious thing happened at Mazatlan. There were soldiers at the dock checking containers, and we had to use a tram to get from the ship to the exit of the port. Carolyn, still recuperating from her broken ankle (see below in this blog) was using an electric scooter on the ship, but she couldn't get it onto the tram. She encouraged me to go into town to do some sight seeing. I'd already taken pictures from the Lido deck (above), but I decided I'd look around the downtown area. So I took the tram to the exit building at the port. It turned out that a taxi ride to town cost $6 (US). I didn't want to get involved in changing dollars for pesos so I asked the driver of the cab if he could give me change of a $20 bill in US dollars. He couldn't. So I elected to buy something at the little shopping area right there at the exit, get my change in US dollars, and then have the right change for the cab. There was a sign at the little bar area that said that a Margarita would cost $4. At the bar, they were able to give me change in US dollars, so I had a Margarita. Apparently, it doesn't cost much for alcoholic beverages in Mexico. They were pretty generous with that drink. It took me about an hour to actually get the Margarita down my gullet, and by then, I was so dizzy, I didn't feel able to do anything other than going back to the ship on the little tram and taking a nap back in my cabin.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: