Friday, March 13, 2009

Cancer Time

by

Henry Farkas


Stage I – Pre Diagnosis

Busy present, interminable future. Day to day, work, play. Everything is fine.

Stage II – Diagnosis of Lung Cancer

Well, this is one way to get the kids to come by for a visit. Wouldn't want to play this card very often. I work on a different time scale from my docs. They're relaxed, make appointments, get consults before surgery. I see it as a series of hoops I have to jump through before they'll take this out of me. And the furshlugginer secretaries keep putting off the times when I can go ahead and jump through the hoops.

Stage III – Treatment

Finally getting this done. Totally not fun. Feel way worse from the treatment than I ever felt from the cancer.

Stage IV – Complication

Heart attack – from all that steak I ate? From the obesity? From the chemo? Probably from all three.

Stage V – Recurrence

Merde. Gotta do Stage III all over again. Still totally not fun. Still feel way worse from the treatment than from the cancer.

Stage VI – Interregnum? Funny how that word came to mind. Between kings? Is cancer the king of me? Even though I have no idea when or if it'll come back? Especially because I have no idea when or if it'll come back.

No comments: